Home->About->Historical Highlights

 


A HISTORY OF EMMANUEL


UNITED METHODIST CHURCH


 


In the beginning, a group of people had a church on Fifth Street near “D” Street. It was a very small church, which was eventually sold to the company that built the Barker Bros furniture Store. The church property was used for the parking lot. Some of the people from the original church continued meeting in members’ homes.


 


In the summer of 1942, the Southern California Church Council allocated the North end community of San Bernardino to the Methodist Church for development of a protestant church to serve the area.


 


Under the leadership of the Rev Earl Haydock, pastor of the old St Paul’s Methodist church located at Sixth and “E” Streets, a house was obtained at 2760 “D” Street for holding Sunday school. The sponsoring occupants were Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Weston. On September 20, 1942, Linda Suzanne Sears, daughter of Virgil and Hazel Sears, became the first child christened in the new North End church.


 


On Palm Sunday, March 25, 1943, an organizational meeting was held at 2760 “D” Street with the Rev. Gerald B. Harvey, District Superintendent, presiding. Five trustees and five stewards were elected. Easter Sunday, April 18, 1943, marked the opening of the chapel located at 3205 “E” Street (it was an old pharmacy building).


 


The name Emmanuel Methodist church was unanimously adopted at an adjourned session of the Quarterly conference on June 13, 1943. At the end of Rev. Haydock’s pastorate, there were thirty-two full members


 


The Rev Herbert Rodgers, a student at Redlands University, was appointed to Emmanuel Methodist Church in June 1943.


 


On January 18, 1944, the Board of Trustees was authorized to incorporate according to the discipline of the Methodist Church and the laws of the State of California.


 


In June 1944, Rev John L. Taylor was appointed to Emmanuel United Methodist Church. During this time, a house was purchased for the parsonage from St. Paul’s Methodist Church and moved to 718 Marshall Blvd.


 


On August 18, 1944, a church site at Thirty-third and “G” Streets was purchased. The building permit was granted on September 8, 1945, and J. Culver Heaton was hired as the architect, with Robinson and Wilson, Inc as the builders. The cost of the construction for the chapel was $35,000. William and Doris Brenizer were the first to be married in the new church (even prior to its completion).


 


The first service in the new chapel was held the last Sunday of the conference year, May 23, 1946, with the reception of twenty six new members, the signing of the roll with ninety seven names and the placing of the roll beneath the inscription stone.


 


In January 1949, Rev Taylor brought some community needs to the attention of church members. He felt that a social hall could be used for the benefit of the entire community as much needed indoor assembly space. Organizations such as the Boy and Girl Scouts, Brownies, and the Marshall Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association had been using the present inadequate facilities. In February 1949, the church began a drive to raise funds for a social hall with an auditorium stage, kitchen, storage and serving rooms and more church school rooms. Groundbreaking ceremonies for the social hall were held on January 25, 1950. Bill Edwards helped in planning the architecture, and the construction company was Dowd-Hoefer Co. The cost upon completion was $18,000,


 


Rev Darrel McCorkell was appointed pastor of Emmanuel in June 1950. He preached one or two services but had to be relieved of his position because of ill health. Following the release of Rev McCorkell, services were conducted temporarily by Rev T. H. Lent from Muscoy. In December 1950 the Rev N Robert Kesler was appointed to Emmanuel Methodist church.


 In 1954, Clarence Schobborn built a church parsonage at 3419 Acacia for $14,000.


Due to in adequate facilities and more and more families wanting Christian education for their children, overcrowding, confusion and noise in the Sunday school became a problem. The enrollment was 360 with an average attendance of 204, and enrollment continued to grow every week. Only one class was meeting in an actual classroom. It was obvious that the church would need three sessions of Sunday school to avoid turning people away. The church began planning for an educational building that would accommodate about 400 children in modern, well-equipped classrooms. The major task of building the new educational facilities was completed in the summer of 1957. J. Culver Heaton was the architect, and Robinson and Wilson, Inc were the builders. The cost for the completed building was $100,000.


 


In 1969 the church purchased a new personal in the Del Rosa area at 25965 Holy Vista Drive, for approximately $28,000.


 


 


 




 


 


 


 

Last edited on November 25, 2012, 1:11 am